Renovating St.Martin School
Father Maurizio Biraghi wrote us in February 2018:
“Unfortunately the school built in the valley near the river, where the slums of Huruma are, has had serious constructional damages due to the crumbling of marshland and the recent floods that have made it unstable. For the present we have started huge renovation works, but due to their high cost we do not know if we’ll manage to finish them and make the school habitable again. On a temporary basis the classes gather, some on the church premises other in temporary classes; however, teaching and learning are really at risk.
These are the renovation costs:
- 9500 euros to strengthen the foundations and the main beams of the school through the building of bearing walls
- 3000 euros for the continuous drainage of the underground water infiltrating through the installation of a continuous drainage pump and service
- 4500 euros for the remake of the slab on the first floor and in the classrooms
- 2300 euros for the remake of the crumbling staircases
- 11000 euros for the safety works of the whole building with structural additions to the walls, pillars, entrances
- 2500 euros for the new power supply since the previous transformer has been affected by the soil crumbling and the floods
- 2200 euros to consolidate the hydraulic system with new drainage and piping
The whole cost is about 86000 euros. We have about 51000 and we still need 35000 to be able to complete the renovation.
To do this we indeed rely on the generosity of those who want to give our youth a better future.”